The craze of short viral videos started with the popular app TikTok worldwide and has now been adopted by all social media platforms. The app was launched by the Chinese startup ByteDance in 2016 as the international version of Douyin (a viral short video platform for China). Despite getting restricted in countries like India and Indonesia, the app surpassed the 1 billion monthly active users mark in 2021. So, how much does this viral short video platform make every year? Here are some interesting global TikTok statistics including the users and revenue that will blow your mind.
- How Many TikTok Users Are There Worldwide?
- TikTok Users by Country [Daily & Monthly Active Users]
- TikTok App Usage and Download Statistics
- How Much Money Does TikTok Make? [Revenue Statistics]
- TikTok Users’ Demographics – Average Age, Gender, etc.
- How much money do creators get per view on TikTok?
- Best TikTok Posting Times
- What Does Ratio Mean on TikTok?
- Final Words
How Many TikTok Users Are There Worldwide?In Q3, 2021, TikTok recorded 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, which increased to 1.3 billion in Q1, 2022. By the end of 2022, the number is expected to reach 1.8 billion. The active user grew by 45% in 2021 compared to the 689 million MAU in July 2020. Currently, TikTok ranks fifth in terms of active users compared to other popular social apps. Four apps that have more users worldwide than TikTok are:
- Facebook – Around 2.9 billion active users
- Youtube – Around 2.5 billion active users
- Whatsapp – Around 2.3 billion active users
- Instagram – Around 2.1 billion active users
TikTok Users by Country [Daily & Monthly Active Users]
- The United States has the largest number of TikTok users – 136.42 million by Country in 2022.
- In China, the Chinese version of TikTok called Douyin is expected to grow to 692 million in 2022 and 835 million by 2025.
- In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia has the highest number of active TikTok user penetration, i.e., 87.9%.
- As of Jan 2022, TikTok had over 8.9 million monthly active users in the UK, expected to grow to 15 million by 2025.
TikTok App Usage and Download Statistics
- In Q1, 2022, TikTok was the most downloaded app worldwide, with 36.9 billion total app downloads.
- The worldwide app store downloads for TikTok in Q1, 2022 was 8.6 billion, with a 2.4% growth from 8.4 billion in Q1, 2021.
- The worldwide google play downloads for TikTok in Q1, 2022 was 28.3 billion, with a 1.1% growth from 28 billion in Q1, 2021.
- Mexico recorded the highest number of TikTok downloads from Google Play Store worldwide – over 3 million as of Jan 2022.
- Peru recorded the highest growth of TikTok downloads from the Apple Store in 2022, with a 104.8% growth rate.
- The average daily usage time of TikTok globally is 95 minutes – the highest of any other viral social media platform.
- In the US, the average time a user spends on TikTok is 82 minutes.
- TikTok has the second-most engaged user base worldwide, with 29% of power users engaging with the app daily.
How Much Money Does TikTok Make? [Revenue Statistics]
- In 2021, the annual revenue of TikTok was $4.6 billion, with a 142% increase Year-over-Year.
- Q1, 2021 – $814 million
- Q2, 2021 – $1 billion
- Q3, 2021 – $1.2 billion
- For Q1, 2022, the global revenue generated by TikTok was recorded as $1.3 billion.
- The projected net advertising revenue of TikTok in the US for 2022 recorded $5.96 billion, which is expected to rise to $11.01 billion in 2024.
- In 2022, the US accounts for 38% of TikTok’s revenue generated throughout the Apple store.
- Around 79% of Tiktok’s total revenue comes from China.
TikTok Users’ Demographics – Average Age, Gender, etc.
- The majority of TikTok users worldwide belong to the age group of 18 to 24 years – around 43%.
- 25-34 years – 32.2%, around 312 million users worldwide
- 35-44 years – 13.8%, around 133.5 million users worldwide
- 45-54 years – 6.9%, around 67.4 million users worldwide
- 55 years and above – 4.3%, around 41.7 million users worldwide
- The majority of TikTok users are women – around 54.2% compared to males – 45.8% worldwide.
- 18-24 years: 23.8% women, 17.9% men
- 25-34 years: 17.1% women, 13.9% men
- 35-44 years: 7.2% women, 6.1% men
- 45-54 years: 3.7% women, 3% men
- 55 years and above: 2.4% women, 1.7% men
- In the US, almost half of TikTok users belong to the age group of 18-34 years, as of April 2022.
- 0-11 years – 2.5%
- 12-17 years – 17.7%
- 18-24 years – 23.9%
- 25-34 years – 25.2%
- 35-44 years – 17.1%
- 45-54 years – 6.7%
- 55-64 years – 5.2%
- 65 years or above – 1.8%
- In the US, more Hispanics use TikTok than Black and White Americans.
- Majority of TikTok users in the US earn between $30,000-$49,999 annually.
- Less than $30K – 22%
- $50K-$74,999 – 20%
- More than $75K – 20%
How much money do creators get per view on TikTok?Through its “Creators Fund,” TikTok pays money to creators for their popular videos. However, the payout amount of various creators varies according to certain factors which aren’t disclosed by TikTok publicly. But on average, TikTok pays around 2 to 4 cents for every 1000 views. It means a video with a million views on TikTok earns around $20-$40 through Creator’s fund. But, to get paid for their video views, creators must apply for the TikTok “Creator Fund” and get accepted. Apart from this, creators can generate income on TikTok in various other ways, like:
- Influencer marketing or Brand Collaboration
- Affiliate Marketing
- Fan Tips & Live Gifts
- Selling Merchandise
Best TikTok Posting TimesFor different TikTok creators, the best posting times differ depending upon their:
- Target Audience
- Gender, etc.
- Monday: 6 am, 10 am, 10 pm
- Tuesday: 2 am, 4 am, 9 am
- Wednesday: 7 am, 8 am, 11 pm
- Thursday: 9 am, 12 pm, 7 pm
- Friday: 5 am, 1 pm, 3 pm
- Saturday: 11 am, 7 pm, 8 pm
- Sunday: 7 am, 8 am, 4 pm
What Does Ratio Mean on TikTok?You might have seen “Ratio Me” or “Ratio” in comments on various TikTok videos, which is one of the popular trends on the platform. But what does it actually mean? The term “ratio” was invented from Twitter, where a particular tweet is considered as “ratioed” if it receives more quote tweets or retweets than the likes or comments on it. Generally, when content gets ratioed on Twitter, it is considered negative as more people are retweeting or talking about it rather than engaging (liking or commenting) on the tweet itself. However, on TikTok, it is not the same. On TikTok, Ratio means a commentator is asking other commentators to vote for his comment via likes. So if a video has around 5k views and someone is commenting on it as “Ratio 1:1”, it means he is asking for the same number of likes on that comment as the video receives.
1. How many tiktok content categories are there?There are hundreds of content categories on Tiktok, however the best-performing ones are:
- Life Hacks
- Learn On TikTok
2. What is the watched tiktok video & creator?The most viewed video on the platform belongs to one of the most famous TikTok profiles, i.e., Zach King (also known as the king of Illusion). In Dec 2019, he posted a Harry Potter Illusion video where he was apparently flying on a magic broom. The video received over 2.2 billion views and became the most viewed video till now on TikTok.
3. What is the usual Tiktok video size?While TikTok allows users to upload videos of up to three minutes on its platform, several studies have suggested that the optimal video size is between 21-34 seconds. As TikTok is a viral short video platform, the audience usually engages more with videos not longer than 1 minute.
Final WordsThese latest TikTok statistics indicate how the app is emerging as the most viral short-video app worldwide. TikTok has been beating other popular social media apps like Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, etc., in every aspect (from total app downloads to user engagement) in recent years. It is performing well even in those countries where it got banned temporarily in the past. It would be interesting to see how the app will dominate the market in future. Till then, keep checking our related facts & stats blogs.
- Statista, BusinessOfApps
- Statista (TikTok users by Country 2022)
- Statista, InsiderIntelligence (TikTok users in China)
- Statista, HouseofMarketers (TikTok users’ penetration in the Middle East)
- Statista, Statista (TikTok monthly active users in UK 2022)
- SensorTower (TikTok app downloads worldwide)
- Statista (Country with the highest TikTok downloads from Google Play Store in 2022)
- Statista (Country with the highest TikTok downloads from Apple Store in 2022)
- SensorTower (Average TikTok usage time worldwide)
- BusinessOfApps (TikTok revenue statistics 2022)
- Pymnts, SensorTower
- Statista (TikTok Net Ad Revenue US 2024)
- Statista (Percentage of US contributed to the total TikTok revenue from iOS)
- Statista (Global TikTok users’ percentage by Gender)
- Statista (US TikTok users by age)