The craze of short viral videos started with the popular app TikTok worldwide and has now been adopted by all social media platforms. The app was launched by the Chinese startup ByteDance in 2016 as the international version of Douyin (a viral short video platform for China).
Despite getting restricted in countries like India and Indonesia, the app surpassed the 1 billion monthly active users mark in 2021. So, how much does this viral short video platform make every year? Here are some interesting global TikTok statistics including the users and revenue that will blow your mind.
How Many TikTok Users Are There Worldwide?
In Q3, 2021, TikTok recorded 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, which increased to 1.3 billion in Q1, 2022. By the end of 2022, the number is expected to reach 1.8 billion. The active user grew by 45% in 2021 compared to the 689 million MAU in July 2020.
Currently, TikTok ranks fifth in terms of active users compared to other popular social apps. Four apps that have more users worldwide than TikTok are:
- Facebook – Around 2.9 billion active users
- Youtube – Around 2.5 billion active users
- Whatsapp – Around 2.3 billion active users
- Instagram – Around 2.1 billion active users
[Source: Statista, BusinessOfApps]
TikTok Users by Country [Daily & Monthly Active Users]
- The United States has the largest number of TikTok users – 136.42 million by Country in 2022.
As per the latest data for 2022, the highest number of active TikTok users is in the US – around 136.5 million. After the US, Indonesia comes in the second spot with 99 million active TikTok users (despite a temporary ban in 2018 by Govt).
In the third spot is Brazil, with 73.5 million users, followed by Russia (51.3 million users) and Mexico (50.5 million users).
- In China, the Chinese version of TikTok called Douyin is expected to grow to 692 million in 2022 and 835 million by 2025.
In 2021, the active users of the Douyin app in China were around 639.4 million, which is expected to grow to 692.5 million this year. In Q2, 2021, the daily active users on the app spent around 106.9 minutes per day (with 25.2% YoY growth).
As Douyin is a top-rated short-video platform in China, experts believe it will surpass 835 million users by 2025. [Source: Statista, InsiderIntelligence]
- In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia has the highest number of active TikTok user penetration, i.e., 87.9%.
The active number of TikTok users in Saudi Arabia is over 22.4 million. As of Jan 2022, active TikTok users account for around 88% of the total internet users in the country aged 18 or above.
As per the DataReportal’s report, out of the total number of active TikTok users, around 60.9% are males, while women account for only 39.1%. [Source: Statista, HouseofMarketers]
- As of Jan 2022, TikTok had over 8.9 million monthly active users in the UK, expected to grow to 15 million by 2025.
Since 2020, the number of active TikTok users in the UK has increased significantly, with a peak of 9.2 million MAU in October 2021. Currently, the app has over 8.9 million monthly active users in the country.
As the number of active users is growing YoY, it is expected to grow to 15 million by 2025 as per the latest forecast.
TikTok App Usage and Download Statistics
- In Q1, 2022, TikTok was the most downloaded app worldwide, with 36.9 billion total app downloads.
The worldwide app downloads of TikTok increased by 1.4% YoY in Q1, 2022, to 36.9 billion, which in Q1, 2021 was 36.4 billion. In the first three months of 2022, from January to March, TikTok had over 175 million app downloads worldwide.
Since 2018, no app has recorded as many downloads as TikTok, surpassing the 3.5 billion all-time downloads in Q1, 2021. With the highest number of app downloads worldwide, TikTok has replaced Instagram with the top spot.
- The worldwide app store downloads for TikTok in Q1, 2022 was 8.6 billion, with a 2.4% growth from 8.4 billion in Q1, 2021.
TikTok, in Q1, 2022, successfully surpassed over 70 million app store downloads third-time with an 11% QoQ growth in Asia.
For the past three quarters, the order of the top five social apps remained unchanged, with TikTok being on top, followed by Youtube, Whatsapp, Instagram, and Facebook.
- The worldwide google play downloads for TikTok in Q1, 2022 was 28.3 billion, with a 1.1% growth from 28 billion in Q1, 2021.
Although the worldwide google play store downloads for TikTok increased to 28.3 billion in Q1, 2022, compared to the same quarter of the previous year, the app ranked third for the same period.
This is because Instagram and Facebook led in first and second positions for Q1, 2022, with higher worldwide google play store downloads.
- Mexico recorded the highest number of TikTok downloads from Google Play Store worldwide – over 3 million as of Jan 2022.
In Mexico, the total number of TikTok downloads on the Google Play Store was around 3 million, followed by the United States at 2.6 million downloads.
Nigeria ranks in third place with over 1.84 million downloads, followed by Brazil (1.51 million downloads) and Russia (1.39 million downloads). [Source: Statista]
- Peru recorded the highest growth of TikTok downloads from the Apple Store in 2022, with a 104.8% growth rate.
Peru is the top country worldwide that witnessed the highest growth rate of TikTok downloads from the Apple store as of Jan 2022. The country reported an increase of almost 105% compared to the last month of 2021.
In the second spot, Ecuador ranked with 94.5% growth in TikTok apple store downloads, followed by Nigeria (63.6%) and Mexico (58.7%).
- The average daily usage time of TikTok globally is 95 minutes – the highest of any other viral social media platform.
As per the latest Q2, 2022 global usage data by Sensor Tower, the average time users spend on TikTok is 95 minutes (1.5 hours) per day. This is higher than any other social media app. While Instagram leads in terms of the maximum times users open the app worldwide, TikTok ranks on top for the highest usage time.
After TikTok, Youtube comes in the second spot with 74 minutes average daily usage time, followed by Instagram with 51 minutes.
- In the US, the average time a user spends on TikTok is 82 minutes.
The average time users spend on TikTok in the US was recorded as 82 minutes in Q2, 2022. This average time is three times the time spent on Snapchat (26 minutes), Twitter (25 minutes), and twice the time spent on Facebook (41 minutes) & Instagram (38 minutes).
- TikTok has the second-most engaged user base worldwide, with 29% of power users engaging with the app daily.
Instagram comes in the first position regarding power users engaging with the app daily (around 39%). In the second position, TikTok comes with 29% of the total google play installs opening the app daily in Q2, 2022.
Facebook comes in third place, with 27% of active users engaged with the app daily.
How Much Money Does TikTok Make? [Revenue Statistics]
- In 2021, the annual revenue of TikTok was $4.6 billion, with a 142% increase Year-over-Year.
In 2020, the annual global revenue of TikTok was around $2.6 billion, which increased by 142% to $4.6 billion in 2021. In 2021, the highest revenue was generated in Q4 – about $1.5 billion, which in Q4, 2020 was $883 million. The global revenue generated by TikTok from Q1 to Q3 in 2021 was as follows:
- Q1, 2021 – $814 million
- Q2, 2021 – $1 billion
- Q3, 2021 – $1.2 billion
- For Q1, 2022, the global revenue generated by TikTok was recorded as $1.3 billion.
In Q1, 2022, TikTok generated around $1383 million in revenue worldwide, significantly increasing from Q1, 2021, when the revenue was $814 million. The app generated around $821 million in consumer spending from the Google play store and Apple store in Q1, 2022.
As per the latest forecast, this year, the annual sales revenue of TikTok is set to reach around $12 billion (triple the 2021’s annual revenue).
[Source: BusinessOfApps, Pymnts, SensorTower]
- The projected net advertising revenue of TikTok in the US for 2022 recorded $5.96 billion, which is expected to rise to $11.01 billion in 2024.
The net advertising revenue of TikTok in the US in 2021 was around $2.1 billion, projected to rise 2.8 times in 2022 to $5.96 billion. By 2023, the net ad revenue is expected to rise by $8.75 billion in the US and $11.01 billion in 2024.
- In 2022, the US accounts for 38% of TikTok’s revenue generated throughout the Apple store.
In January 2022, Tiktok generated around $156 million in revenue in the US alone from the apple store, accounting for 38% of its total revenue generated from the store throughout. In second place, Saudi Arabia ranks with $5.7 million generated from the apple store for the same period.
- Around 79% of Tiktok’s total revenue comes from China.
TikTok generates revenue primarily through ads and in-app purchases worldwide. According to the SensorTower data, between 2020 to 2021, TikTok witnessed more than $110 billion in user spending.
Out of the total revenue generated by TikTok, 79% came from Douyin in China in 2021. The other 8% came from the US and 3% from Turkey.
TikTok Users’ Demographics – Average Age, Gender, etc.
- The majority of TikTok users worldwide belong to the age group of 18 to 24 years – around 43%.
As per Tiktok’s latest ad data collected by the DataReportal, around 43.3% of TikTok users (making around 419.7 million worldwide) belong to the 18-24 years age group. The user percentage of other age groups is as follows:
- 25-34 years – 32.2%, around 312 million users worldwide
- 35-44 years – 13.8%, around 133.5 million users worldwide
- 45-54 years – 6.9%, around 67.4 million users worldwide
- 55 years and above – 4.3%, around 41.7 million users worldwide
- The majority of TikTok users are women – around 54.2% compared to males – 45.8% worldwide.
As per the latest data for April 2022, most TikTok users globally are women and belong to the young age group. Here is the percentage distribution of male and female TikTok users across all ages:
- 18-24 years: 23.8% women, 17.9% men
- 25-34 years: 17.1% women, 13.9% men
- 35-44 years: 7.2% women, 6.1% men
- 45-54 years: 3.7% women, 3% men
- 55 years and above: 2.4% women, 1.7% men
- In the US, almost half of TikTok users belong to the age group of 18-34 years, as of April 2022.
As per the latest data, the US’s largest Tiktok users demographic group is aged between 18 to 34 years. Here is the user percentage by various age groups:
- 0-11 years – 2.5%
- 12-17 years – 17.7%
- 18-24 years – 23.9%
- 25-34 years – 25.2%
- 35-44 years – 17.1%
- 45-54 years – 6.7%
- 55-64 years – 5.2%
- 65 years or above – 1.8%
- In the US, more Hispanics use TikTok than Black and White Americans.
As per 2021 research data, around 31% of TikTok users in the US are Hispanics, while Black Americans account for 30% and White Americans account for 18%.
- Majority of TikTok users in the US earn between $30,000-$49,999 annually.
According to the same research, in 2021, around 29% of TikTok users in the US usually have an annual income between $30k-$49,999.
The rest of the user percentage by annual income in the US is as follows:
- Less than $30K – 22%
- $50K-$74,999 – 20%
- More than $75K – 20%
How much money do creators get per view on TikTok?
Through its “Creators Fund,” TikTok pays money to creators for their popular videos. However, the payout amount of various creators varies according to certain factors which aren’t disclosed by TikTok publicly. But on average, TikTok pays around 2 to 4 cents for every 1000 views.
It means a video with a million views on TikTok earns around $20-$40 through Creator’s fund. But, to get paid for their video views, creators must apply for the TikTok “Creator Fund” and get accepted.
Apart from this, creators can generate income on TikTok in various other ways, like:
- Influencer marketing or Brand Collaboration
- Affiliate Marketing
- Fan Tips & Live Gifts
- Selling Merchandise
Best TikTok Posting Times
For different TikTok creators, the best posting times differ depending upon their:
- Target Audience
- Gender, etc.
However, the global best posting times on TikTok (in ET) are:
- Monday: 6 am, 10 am, 10 pm
- Tuesday: 2 am, 4 am, 9 am
- Wednesday: 7 am, 8 am, 11 pm
- Thursday: 9 am, 12 pm, 7 pm
- Friday: 5 am, 1 pm, 3 pm
- Saturday: 11 am, 7 pm, 8 pm
- Sunday: 7 am, 8 am, 4 pm
You can use the conversion tool to convert the ET to your timezone to post the videos on TikTok at the best posting times.
What Does Ratio Mean on TikTok?
You might have seen “Ratio Me” or “Ratio” in comments on various TikTok videos, which is one of the popular trends on the platform. But what does it actually mean?
The term “ratio” was invented from Twitter, where a particular tweet is considered as “ratioed” if it receives more quote tweets or retweets than the likes or comments on it.
Generally, when content gets ratioed on Twitter, it is considered negative as more people are retweeting or talking about it rather than engaging (liking or commenting) on the tweet itself. However, on TikTok, it is not the same.
On TikTok, Ratio means a commentator is asking other commentators to vote for his comment via likes. So if a video has around 5k views and someone is commenting on it as “Ratio 1:1”, it means he is asking for the same number of likes on that comment as the video receives.
1. How many tiktok content categories are there?
There are hundreds of content categories on Tiktok, however the best-performing ones are:
- Life Hacks
- Learn On TikTok
2. What is the watched tiktok video & creator?
The most viewed video on the platform belongs to one of the most famous TikTok profiles, i.e., Zach King (also known as the king of Illusion). In Dec 2019, he posted a Harry Potter Illusion video where he was apparently flying on a magic broom. The video received over 2.2 billion views and became the most viewed video till now on TikTok.
3. What is the usual Tiktok video size?
While TikTok allows users to upload videos of up to three minutes on its platform, several studies have suggested that the optimal video size is between 21-34 seconds. As TikTok is a viral short video platform, the audience usually engages more with videos not longer than 1 minute.
These latest TikTok statistics indicate how the app is emerging as the most viral short-video app worldwide. TikTok has been beating other popular social media apps like Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, etc., in every aspect (from total app downloads to user engagement) in recent years.
It is performing well even in those countries where it got banned temporarily in the past. It would be interesting to see how the app will dominate the market in future. Till then, keep checking our related facts & stats blogs.
- Statista, BusinessOfApps
- Statista (TikTok users by Country 2022)
- Statista, InsiderIntelligence (TikTok users in China)
- Statista, HouseofMarketers (TikTok users’ penetration in the Middle East)
- Statista, Statista (TikTok monthly active users in UK 2022)
- SensorTower (TikTok app downloads worldwide)
- Statista (Country with the highest TikTok downloads from Google Play Store in 2022)
- Statista (Country with the highest TikTok downloads from Apple Store in 2022)
- SensorTower (Average TikTok usage time worldwide)
- BusinessOfApps (TikTok revenue statistics 2022)
- Pymnts, SensorTower
- Statista (TikTok Net Ad Revenue US 2024)
- Statista (Percentage of US contributed to the total TikTok revenue from iOS)
- Statista (Global TikTok users’ percentage by Gender)
- Statista (US TikTok users by age)