Austin has a variety of internet services for its different areas/regions to offer reliable connectivity. While Fiber is the popular option (69% coverage rate), users also have a choice to go for Cable internet (99% available) for high-speed connections in areas where Fiber or DSL connectivity is low. Similarly, Satellite internet is a better option for rural or remote areas.
But with more than 18 residential, 15 business and 5 mobile ISPs present, how do you pick the right one for your needs? To help you out, I will walk you through the best ISP in Austin, Texas, for each connection type with their plans, deals, service terms and availability.
For quick information, just simply refer to this table of internet companies in Austin.
Best Internet Providers in Austin, TX
Here are the brief details of best internet providers in Austin, Texas, based on the type of internet services and maximum download speeds they offer:
|ISP Name||Max Download Speeds||Internet Type
|AT&T||5000 Mbps||DSL & Fiber|
|Google Fiber||2000 Mbps||Fiber|
|Earthlink||5000 Mbps||DSL & Fiber|
|Astound Broadband by Grande Communications||1200 Mbps||Cable & Fiber|
|Verizon||1000 Mbps||Wireless 5G|
|SOS Communications||50 Mbps||Fixed Wireless|
|Ranch Wireless||25 Mbps||Fixed Wireless|
|Rise Broadband||100 Mbps||Fixed Wireless|
High-Speed Internet Providers in Austin, Texas
Austin is one of the fastest cities in Texas, with an average internet speed of 214 Mbps. Here are some of the fastest internet providers in Austin, offering speeds up to 5Gbps.
- AT&T – Offer fastest fiber speeds up to 5 Gbps with no data caps
- Google Fiber – Offer high-speed Fiber internet of up to 2 Gbps with no data caps
- Frontier – Speeds up to 2 Gbps with no annual contracts
- EarthLink – Offer speeds up to 5Gbps with multiple services types available
- Optimum – Reliable and fast cable connection of up to 940 Mbps
- Centurylink – Interruption-less fiber internet with speeds up to 940Mbps, no annual contracts
- Spectrum – Reliable, high-speed cable internet with up to 1Gbps speed, no data caps
- Astound – Offer gigabit fiber speeds up to 1200 Mbps, no annual contracts
- Verizon – Offer best 5G wireless data with speeds up to 1 Gbps
- Viasat – Offer high-speed Satellite internet for rural and remote areas with speeds up to 100 Mbps
Fiber Internet Provider in Austin, TX
Fiber internet is not as widely available as Cable internet in Austin, Texas; however, it is making its way to more and more households. Here are some popular fiber internet providers offering Gig-fast speeds in Austin:
AT&T is the largest fiber internet provider in the US, serving over 21 states and 39.4 million households. In Austin, Texas, the provider offers DSL and Fiber internet with an average 89% coverage rate. The ISP is known to offer ultra-fast Gig plans with speeds up to 5Gbps with no data caps, annual contracts and equipment fees.
Not all Fiber plans of AT&T are available for all regions, so depending upon the availability and needs, you can pick the right one for you from the following:
- Fiber 300: The plan starts at $55 per month to offer speeds up to 300Mbps, excluding a one-time installation charge. The plan is suitable for 8-10 devices for web browsing, multitasking, streaming and casual gaming.
- Fiber 500: The plan offers speeds up to 500Mbps at a monthly cost of $65 per month to connect up to 11 devices for binge-watching, file sharing and gaming purposes.
- Fiber 1 Gig: The plan is designed for small offices and households with 12 devices to offer speeds up to 1Gbps at a monthly cost of $80.
- Fiber 2 Gig: The plan is suitable to connect 12+ devices for seamless streaming, multiplayer gaming and browsing purposes with speeds up to 2 Gbps at a monthly cost of $110.
- Fiber 5 Gig: With ultra-fast speeds up to 5Gbps, the plan costs $180 monthly and is suitable for large file downloading & sharing, video calls, elite gaming and HD streaming on 12+ devices.
The ISP in Austin also has various fixed wireless internet plans under its standalone and bundle packages that you can try if Fiber is unavailable in your region.
Earthlink is another widely available DSL and Fiber internet provider in the US, serving across 26 states. In Austin, Texas, the provider has a wide coverage rate of around 86%. The ISP offers highly customizable fiber internet plans in Austin tailored to your needs for speeds up to 5Gbps with no data caps.
With each plan, the company provides free antivirus & spam protection and a private, secure email. Here are some of its popular fiber internet plans you can choose from:
- Best Value: The plan starts at $59.95 per month to offer speeds up to 100 Mbps and is suitable for low internet requirements like web browsing, occasional streaming, emailing, etc., on 4-5 devices.
- Most Popular: The plan offers speeds up to 300Mbps at a monthly cost of $79.95. It is suitable for 6-7 devices for streaming, video calls, browsing and online gaming.
- Fastest Streaming: Then there is an ultra-fast Gig plan offering speeds up to 5Gbps at a starting monthly cost of $189.95. The plan is designed for professionals, streamers and gamers who need ultra-fast speed for HD streaming and glitch-free multiplayer gaming.
3. Google Fiber
Google Fiber is the seventh-largest fiber internet provider in the US, available in over 20 states. In Austin, Texas, the ISP is known for its high-speed internet, offering speeds up to 2Gbps, with a coverage rate of 82%. Apart from its fast fiber internet connection, the company also offers Webpass services to provide internet in densely populated regions with low fiber connectivity. The Google Webpass services are available in over 12 states of the US, while the Fiber internet is available in nine states.
The ISP offers two high-speed Fiber gig plans with no data caps, no annual contracts, free installation and mesh WiFi equipment. Not only this, but unlike other fiber net providers, Google Fiber also provides 1 TB of free cloud storage with its plans. With both plans, the users get 24*7 support, seamless connectivity even in peak hours and 99% reliable uptime.
Here are the details of its two popular plans:
- 1 Gig: The plan starts at a monthly cost of $70 to offer speeds up to 1 Gbps and is suitable for 10+ devices to stream, play and browse simultaneously.
- 2 Gig: The plan is designed for professional and large data requirements on unlimited devices with speeds up to 2 Gbps at a monthly cost of $100.
Frontier is another popular internet provider in the US offering DSL and fiber internet across 25 states. The provider provides high speeds internet in Austin with up to 2 Gbps with no data caps or overage charges. The Gig plans offer symmetric upload and download speeds with free professional installation and Amazon Eero equipment. Also, for Gig plans, the company offers a 3-year price guarantee. Here are three popular internet plans you can choose from:
- Fiber 500: The plan starts at $49.99 per month to offer speeds up to 500Mbps to connect 5 or more devices for casual gaming, video calls, browsing and streaming purposes.
- Fiber 1 Gig: The plan starts at $74.99 per month to offer equal upload and download speeds up to 1 Gbps for ten or more devices. It is suitable for multitasking, large file download and sharing, seamless streaming and much more.
- Fiber 2 Gig: The plan costs $149.99 monthly to offer symmetric upload and download speeds of up to 2Gbps. Also, the plan provides unlimited Digital Voice calls facility with VoIP technology.
CenturyLink is another renowned internet provider offering Fiber and DSl internet services with high coverage in the US. In Austin, Texas, the ISP offers gig fiber plans with speeds up to 940 Mbps with no annual contracts and early termination fees. With its unlimited internet, users can choose the required speed tailored to their data needs without any bundles.
Also, the ISP has more availability in rural areas (across 36 states) than other popular fiber-internet providers like AT&T, Xfinity, etc. Here are two of its popular plans:
- Simply Unlimited Internet: The plan starts at $50 per month to offer unlimited data speeds up to 100 Mbps. The plan will only provide the fastest speed available in your location and is suitable for music streaming, web browsing and casual gaming on 3-4 devices.
- Fiber Gigabit: The plan starts at $70 per month to offer a maximum upload and download speed of up to 940 Mbps via Ethernet or wired connection. The plan is suitable for multiple devices to stream, browse, multitask and play.
6. Astound Broadband by Grande Communications
Astound Broadband in Austin, powered by Grande Communications, is one of the cheapest internet providers in the US. In Austin, Texas, the ISP offers high-speed, reliable fiber connection speeds up to 1200 Mbps. The provider is known for outstanding customer service with a money-back guarantee and customer savings bundles.
All its plans come with a 2-year price guarantee and no annual contracts. Here are its four most popular fiber internet plans you can choose from depending on your needs and availability in your region:
- Fiber 400: The plan starts at $25.99 per month to offer speeds up to 400 Mbps. It is suitable to connect 7 or more devices for sharing photos & videos, streaming, working from home, etc.
- Fiber 600: The plan offers speeds up to $39.99 monthly and is suitable for large-data activities on 10 or more devices.
- Fiber 1 Gig: The plan starts at a $49.99 monthly cost to offer speeds up to 940 Mbps. It is suitable for ten or more devices with more streaming, gaming or browsing requirements.
- Fiber 1200: The plan offers ultra-fast speeds of up to 1200 Mbps at a monthly cost of $59.99. It is ideal to connect multiple devices for multitasking, seamless streaming and glitch-free multiplayer gaming.
Cable Internet Provider in Austin, TX
Cable is a widely popular and better internet option than DSL in areas where Fiber connectivity is low. Here are some leading cable internet providers in Austin, Texas:
Available in over 44 states, Spectrum is the second biggest cable internet provider in the US. In Austin, Texas, it is the leading cable network provider with a 99% coverage rate. Not only in Austin but also in cities like Conroe, Spectrum is the popular cable network provider. Even without the fiber-optic cables, the cable internet by Spectrum offers speed as fast as fiber internet, up to 1Gbps.
The ISP offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with 24×7 support and no annual contracts. With Spectrum internet, the users get a free Modem and antivirus software with 99.99% network reliability. Here are some of its popular plans tailored to various needs:
- Spectrum Internet: The plan starts at $49.99 per month to offer speeds up to 300 Mbps with unlimited mobile line and enhanced WiFi security.
- Spectrum Internet Ultra: The plan offers speeds up to 500 Mbps at a monthly cost of $69.99 with an unlimited mobile line.
- Spectrum Internet Fiber: The plan offers the same plan but with more speed of up to 1 Gbps at a monthly cost of $89.99. It is ideal for multiple devices with large-data requirements like multiplayer gaming, HD streaming, video calls, etc.
Optimum by Altice is another fastest growing internet provider in the US, serving over 19 states with greater coverage in Texas. In Austin, the provider offers reliable cable internet services with a 43% coverage rate. The ISP offers speeds up to 940 Mbps through its various cable connection plans and bundles with 99% reliable uptime.
However, not all plans/speeds are available in all regions, so you can pick the right one depending on the plan’s availability in your area. Here are its four popular cable internet plans you can choose from:
- Internet 100: The plan starts at $30 per month to offer upload speeds of up to 100 Mbps and download speeds of up to 5 Mbps. The plan comes with a 12-months price guarantee and is suitable for 4-5 devices with basic browsing, streaming and gaming requirements.
- Internet 300: The plan offers unlimited data with upload speeds up to 20Mbps and download speeds up to 300 Mbps at a monthly cost of $40. The plan comes with a 2-year price lock guarantee, free Modem/router and free service protection for one year.
- Internet 500: The plan offers unlimited data with the same upload speed of up to 20 Mbps but with more download speed of up to 500 Mbps at $60 per month. The plan comes with a 2-year price lock guarantee, free Modem/Router and 1-year service protection.
- Internet 1 Gig: The plan offers the same other benefits but with more upload speed of up to 35 Mbps and download speed of up to 940 Mbps at a monthly cost of $70.
Satellite Internet Provider in Austin, TX
Although Satellite internet is not as fast and reliable as Fiber, Cable and DSL internet, it is the preferred connection type in rural or remote areas where internet connectivity is low. Here are two leading Satellite internet providers in Austin, Texas:
Viasat is the leading Satellite internet provider in the US, serving across 50 states, including Texas. In the remote or rural areas of Austin, the ISP offers reliable internet connection with speeds up to 100 Mbps at a 99% coverage rate. The ISP provides various plans tailored to different needs with a 2-year price lock guarantee. All the plans come with different high-speed data limits from 40GB to 150+ GB.
Along with the high-speed data, each plan has unlimited standard data that users can consume once their high-speed data is over to browse at lower speeds. The plan’s speed depends upon its availability in a particular region. So, you can pick from the following three plans depending on the availability and speed requirements:
- Choice 25 Mbps: The plan comes with a monthly high-speed data of 40GB with unlimited standard data at starting cost of $49.99 per month to offer speeds up to 25Mbps. It is suitable for 1-2 devices with basic browsing and work requirements.
- Choice 50 Mbps: The plan offers 60Gb high-speed monthly data with unlimited standard data at a starting cost of $69.99 per month. It is suitable for 3-4 devices with basic streaming, work, and browsing needs.
- Choice 75 Mbps: The plan costs $99.99 per month to offer 100 GB of high-speed data with speeds up to 75 Mbps. It is a popular plan for up to 6 devices for video calls, streaming, casual gaming, and other online activities.
- Choice 100 Mbps: Offers up to 150 Gb of high-speed data at a speed of 100 Mbps for $149.99 per month. It is suitable for 7-9 devices for multitasking, streaming and other work requirements.
- Choice 150 Mbps: For large data requirements, users can choose this plan offering high-speed monthly data of 300Gb with speeds up to 150 Mbps at $199.99 per month.
HughesNet is the USA’s number 1 satellite internet provider and serves across 50 states, including Texas. In Austin, the ISP has a 100% coverage rate, and unlike Viasat, it doesn’t have any hard data limits, which means users can still browse the internet at a lower speed of 1-3 Mbps without any overage fees.
All its plans offer the same maximum upload speed of 3 Mbps and download speed of 25 Mbps but with different data limits. The user gets free built-in WiFi, 50 GB bonus data from 8 pm to 2 am, and a two-year price lock guarantee with each plan.
Here are the different plans you can choose from per your needs:
- 10 GB: Starts at $49.99 per month
- 20 GB: Starts at $59.99 per month
- 30 GB: Starts at $79.99 per month
- 50 GB: Starts at $99.99 per month
Cheapest Internet Providers in Austin, TX
The average internet per month cost in Austin, Texas, is $49.99 for 100-1000 Mbps (depending upon the connection type and availability). Here are some cheapest internet providers in the area offering value internet packs for various connection types:
- Rise Broadband: Offers 50 Mbps plan with 250 GB data cap for $35 per month, costing $0.7 per Mbps.
- Astound Broadband: Offer high-speed fiber connection with speeds up to 1200 Mbps for $59.99 per month, costing $0.049 per Mbps.
- AT&T: Offer high-speed Fiber gig connection for speeds up to 5Gbps for $180 per month, costing $0.0002 per Mbps.
- Spectrum: Offer cable connection with speeds up to 1 Gbps for $89.99 per month, costing $0.089 per Mbps.
- Optimum: The ISP offers cable connection with speeds up to 940 Mbps for $70 per month, costing $0.014 per Mbps.
- Viasat: Offer satellite internet with speeds up to 100 Mbps for $149.99 per month, costing $1.49 per Mbps.
To choose the right internet provider for your needs amongst all the mentioned ones, consider a few crucial aspects like your budget, availability of provider’s services and plans in your area, speed requirements, internet type, contract terms, installation fees and deals. Go for the one that offers no data caps or low overage charges with no annual contracts and a price lock guarantee to get the best value for your money.